When the boy had outgrown and almost worn out a favourite pair of football print flannel PJs he was desperate not to part with them, even though the trousers were halfway up his legs! I promised to make something with them that he would see every day in his bedroom. Using a bunting template I created, I made them into bunting and used an old ‘dressing up skirt’ (another story for another day) to make coordinating bias binding.
7 years later, the bunting still hangs proudly in his bedroom and I am not allowed to take it down!
I don’t have bags of patience (understatement!) so I needed something I could make quickly and easily.
With a sheet of A4 paper and a 12″ rule, I drew one 6 1/2″ line horizontally, as below. I marked the halfway point along this line (at 3 1/4″) and drew a long line at right angles to the original line, all the way down the page.
From each end of the horizontal line I measured 8 1/2″, drawing in a line that met the vertical line, to create an elongated triangle. Ta-dah! My bunting template was ready to use.
Here are the beloved PJs and the polka dot skirt, ready to be upcycled into bunting! The PJs were so old by this stage, they were super-soft. We had been given them as ‘hand-me-downs’ from my nephew, and the boy loved them all the more for this.
I started by cutting open all of the seams in the PJs, cutting off the waistband of the pants and the collar from the top, so I was left with a small pile of usable fabric pieces.
Then I placed one piece of the PJ fabric over the lining fabric and pinned my template in place before cutting out my first fabric pieces.
Repeating this process, I had enough fabric for 16 triangles from the PJ fabric and backing fabric. Keeping right sides together, I pinned each fabric pair together along the long edges of the triangles, leaving the 6 1/2″ top edge free.
Using a 1/4″ seam allowance and back-stitching at the beginning and end for security, I stitched the 2 fabric pieces together.
After carefully snipping the end point of the triangle off, to reduce bulk, I turned each triangle out to the right side.
This was a wee bit fiddly but worth it for a nice finish!
I pressed every triangle carefully, then trimmed the top of each triangle to remove any excess fabric from the seams (to get a nice neat edge)
I made my own bias binding but it’s easy and quick to use store-bought bias binding if you’re in a hurry or not confident about making your own.
Working out from the centre of the binding, I pinned the triangles to the inside of the bias binding, sandwiching them inside. I made sure to leave 4″ (20cm) at each end for tying.
I sewed about 1/4″ in from the edge along the whole length of the bias binding, securing each triangle, until I reached the other end.
Last, I made a loop for hanging at each end and hung the bunting up to my son’s great delight!
I’m Coralie, a Harrogate based blogger and mum to the reluctant teen. A crafting and upcycling addict, lover of outdoor life, juicing and gin. I’m never far from a cup of tea…
I finally made myself a sewing needle case after I trod on a needle I…
Last week I was on the hunt for tooth fairy ideas to make the…